Tuesday, October 21, 2008

pumpkin patch


Today we met up with our friends at Aloun Farms to pick out pumpkins from their pumpkin patch. I had always heard about this place but was also told that it was very dry, dusty and HOT...wear play clothes. I just have to keep reminding myself that the holidays here are not like the holidays on the mainland. So all of those holidays where you picture sweaters, coats, hot chocolate, snow, brisk breezes, hot apple cider and fall foliage....are then replaced with sweat (lots of sweat), hot sun, short sleeve shirts, sunscreen and ice cold water. But the boys had a blast and Ethan told me we should go back next week. What do they know? To them this is normal for pumpkin picking.

They even had a hay ride (not so fun with shorts on...kind of itchy...but to a boy, how could it get any better...tractors, dirt and machines).Then they each were able to pick out one pumpkin each to carve in about a week because any sooner and we'll have a carved pumpkin of mush.

4 comments:

Jess said...

We took our Kindergarten class to a pumpkin patch here today as well! It was lots of fun -the kids LOVED running out into the pumpkin patch to find their "perfect" pumpkin. How fun to be able to go with your own kids?!?! I hope I am able to experience these types of things with Jonas when he gets older.

Joc said...

Hey- remember when you were pregnant with Jude and Ry and I came to visit you in St. Louis? And we took Ethan to a pumpkin patch. I have some great pictures of that day too.

And I gotta say, it never occured to me that there are pumpking pathes in HI!

Joc said...

Okay, don't you just LOVE my spelling in that last sentence?! Sheesh. I totally meant to say 'pumpkin patch'.

livinginthemidwest said...

I was wondering what "pumpking pathes" were. I thought maybe it was a mainland thing. ;o)