Thursday, January 31, 2008
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Monday, January 28, 2008
People say that it takes about a year in Hawaii before you adjust to the heat and find it bearable to live without air conditioning. Well I didn't believe them when they said it because I seem to be the only one that sweats here and is hot...and we're going on 2 1/2 years here. So lately it has gotten rather chilly especially at night and I made a comment to someone that it seems to be colder this year than last year. They laughed and said it looks like my body has adjusted to Hawaii weather. I wanted to prove them wrong so I set up an indoor thermometer we have in our bedroom so I could show that it really is cold here lately. I knew it would at least get down to the 60's at night if not the 50's. Well sad to say it read only 73. I am officially a wimp.
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Friday, January 25, 2008
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
"Wow mommy, you're almost old."
I'm glad it's only "almost" and not "really."
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Whenever I do an event like this I always think how I would rather be behind the scenes doing something, and not be the person in charge...I just want to be comfortable and have an easy life. Our pastor's wife spoke at the tea today and she talked about how we grow the most when we are taken out of our comfort zones. If we're comfortable we tend to think that we can rely on our own strength, but when we are overwhelmed and uncomfortable we can't do anything but fall on our knees before God. This has definitely been my experience this year, but I'm sad to say that at times my first reaction wasn't to run to God for strength and comfort. So I thought I would share some things that God is continuing to teach me through this experience of being WIC president:
- God's strength is mightier than anything I could muster up in myself
- loving a difficult person can only be done with the love God has given me and he commands me to love my neighbor
- delegate and trust that those people will get it done even if it's not how I would have done it
- patience, patience, patience
- enjoy the process and not be impatient for the end result
- be flexible for things not to go the way I had planned
- I am a selfish person that takes for granted God's grace in my life
- people come from all different backgrounds and I should never judge a person
- if I lose joy in the process, then I need to step back and ask God for joy
- #1 goal in all that I do should be that God would be glorified and that His glory would be seen
- I have an amazing husband, that I take for granted, who loves and supports me in all that I do (such as doing laundry, watching the boys and cleaning up the house while I was at the tea this morning so that when I came home I could relax)
Thank you Lord for your sanctification, that you show me my weaknesses. Please help me to be teachable so that I will know (and live) that your grace is sufficent.
Friday, January 18, 2008
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Waiting outside of the Pearl Harbor Memorial in the trees. We were there with our friends the Perrins and the Burlews who were seeing a few sights before they left to go back home that evening. They came in town from Pennsylvania to train the teachers at the Elementary School on Christian Classical Education. I know many teachers were encouraged, challenged and inspired. It's a very exciting time for our school.
Hanging out with our buddy Josh in the backyard. Ethan was sad when Josh's school started back up.
We've seen quite a few rainbows lately with all the rain we've had. I love winter weather in Hawaii...it's cold enough to wear jeans but not cold enough to wear socks.
A couple of yummy recipes coming soon...