Wednesday, October 01, 2008

my little student

I am writing this post not because I think I have a prodigy of a child or that I think I'm a great teacher (although having great curriculum helps big time), but I am writing this post to say how amazed I am at little brains. The whole argument of "it shouldn't be academic at an early age" or "they won't understand such abstract concepts at an early age" is really ridiculous to me. I was worried about some of the content I was going to be covering with Ethan this year and wondering if it would be too hard (based on what I hear from schools, articles I've read, etc.) but he actually is absorbing everything I give him. Nothing is forced on him for school. He loves the challenge and is motivated by it. We go at his pace. When we finish one subject we move on to the next...so our school day is no more than an 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I am constantly amazed at how quickly he can pick up concepts and how quickly he can memorize.

These are his addition facts which he can quickly jot down the answers to and get them all correct...without my help. I thought he would be counting on his fingers or needing manipulative's to find the answer (which we did in the beginning to learn what addition meant) but he doesn't. He also is connecting addition with other parts of his world (5 fingers plus 5 fingers is 10 fingers, 5 cars plus one more is 6, etc.) It is so neat to see Ethan grow and develop and also to be teaching him about this great world that God made and how He created a world of order.

"As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." Genesis 8:22

3 comments:

Momathon said...

I am rejoicing with you as I read this!

RT said...

*I* think you may have a prodigy on your hands. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! Mom H