Thursday, October 09, 2008

my thumb is a changin' colors

Here is an update on our little lanai garden. Amazingly things are still alive and actually producing vegetables and herbs.
This is our grape tomato plant which had our first fruits. We have picked 3 tomatoes so far (which Jude has quickly gobbled down...he is my tomato eater). This is our first eggplant which still needs to grow and ripen a little longer...but isn't it beautiful. I can't wait to roast it on the grill and eat it.This is our mint plant which is growing like crazy. I have enjoyed drinking mint water since I have to drink so much water...being pregnant and all. It is really refreshing.Next is our basil plant which looks puny now but I just cut it back to make some fresh basil pesto. Thanks to my friend Jocelyn on how to make it and freeze it...can't wait to use that in my next recipe...yum!Ethan tries to plant every seed he comes across, either while outside or eating. So one night we were eating watermelon and he decided he would plant the seed to see if it grows. He always follows that with "does this plant grow in Hawaii mom?". This particular species does...a Thai watermelon. So we'll see. I think we may have to plant this one in the ground because I'm pretty sure these plants need LOTS of space...more than a little container.And last is our yellow squash which produces these beautiful flowers. And that's about it. I've heard from friends who try to grow yellow squash that they don't actually get any squash either. So I'm not sure if the bees aren't doing their job or maybe these plants don't enjoy the warm Hawaiian weather. So we'll wait a few more weeks and see what happens. If not I may just replace it with zucchini, which is what I really wanted all along. I just couldn't find a starter plant anywhere. I guess everyone else wants zucchini as well.

1 comment:

Joc said...

Awesome Erin! I love your garden! Last weekend we finally pulled up the remnants of ours, and planted our winter garden. We'll see if anything comes of that- it's our first try. :)

Oh- and you know you can eat those squash blossoms, right? Just stuff 'em with cheese, roll them in batter and fry those babies.