Monday, August 13, 2007

scones



Tonight we had a WIC fellowship time and tea....and you can't have tea without scones. So I thought I would post the recipe because scones are oh so yummy!
Blue Goose Inn - Basic Scones
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2-1 cup filler of your choice
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender. Do not allow the butter to melt or form a paste with the flour. Stir in chips/filler of your choice. In a separate bowl, mix together egg and cream. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Mix lightly until just combined.
Gather dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of bowl 5-10 times. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and pat dough into an 8-inch round about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 to 12 wedges and place at least 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheet. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425 degrees until the tops are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
* My favorite combos are Chocolate Cherry Scones, White Chocolate Cranberry and just Plain with fresh whipped cream on top....yum, yum!
side-note: our WIC (Women in the Church) meeting went well and I'm excited to start this new year. I have a new council and a lot of fresh ideas mentioned at the meeting. So I look forward to seeing how God will work in and through us all as we seek to glorify God and serve, learn and grow together. I can see the challenges that I will face this year in this ministry and pray that I won't be discouraged or fearful...but rely on the strength only God can give me. I read this quote on someone elses blog this week ("Thank You that I have reached the end of myself so quickly so that I will more readily rely on Your strength and wisdom.") which I thought was such a great thing to pray for. I feel that I have already reached the end of myself as far as strength and am glad that God tends to all my needs and can use my inadequacies and weaknesses to do far greater things than I could ever imagine.

2 comments:

Joc said...

ooh- I may have to try your recipe. I make a yummy cranberry scone too- but I always like to try new things. And adding some white chocolate has GOT to be good! It's great to hear about your ministry there. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Thanks for sharing yourself so much. It's always an encouragement to read about!

Clay said...

i miss scone making with you!