Wednesday, August 22, 2007

...school update continued....

Well it makes me laugh that my post yesterday was "I love teaching, this is so much fun", then have a day like I had today with Ethan. It's nothing he did, it was just a concept he couldn't quite grasp yet. But I think after some time his brain will catch up to it. Me on the other hand was not practicing that "being patient" thing. I know Ethan could sense my frustration and that is the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't want to squash his excitement for learning by being a control freak that is not willing to come along side him and encourage him even if he doesn't get it at first. I think my mind thinks A) explain new concept and then B) Ethan learns it...instead my frustration grows because I understand it (a 30 year old that learned it 26 years ago) and I can't understand how he can't possibly understand the concept....or my frustration grows because I can't figure out how else to explain it to him, besides the three different ways I already explained it, so that he will understand. I think I prayed "Lord please give me patience" about 5 times before I said "you know what, we'll just work on this another day". We then moved on to another subject and we were back to "I love teaching, this is so much fun." The great thing about preschool is that it's all about repetition and review, so I'm pretty sure by the end of the year he will get it.

Thank you Lord for teaching me right along with Ethan this year!

2 comments:

Momathon said...

What a great attitude. Patience and perseverance will be your friends this year :-)

Anne said...

Yes, that's the life of a homeschooling mom -- ups and downs and lessons learned by both student & teacher!

Good for you for figuring this out much earlier than I have! :-)