Thursday, August 09, 2007

discipline


I just picked up this great reference chart from our church book table called Wise Words for Moms. Jason and I both agree with a lot of Shepherding a Child's Heart by Paul Tripp...in that we want to discipline so that we are addressing the heart issue and not just the behavior. So it was nice to find this chart by Ginger Plowman that can give us some tangible ways to put that into practice. The book addresses many "bad behaviors" common to young children, questions to ask so the child can search and evaluate their own hearts, and verses to reprove the sinful behavior and encourage them in righteous behavior. I know it's not a fix-all for parenting, but it is nice to have a plan that Jason and I can both reinforce so that we are consistent with how we're disciplining. I know this sounds weird but discipline has been such a better experience since we've had a "plan". I'm calmer and feel like Ethan is learning way more than me telling him to "not do that" or blanking out when I try to figure out what to say on the spot.
I found 4 behaviors that we are disciplining Ethan for, more often than others, and printed them out on paper so that I can easily take him over to it, ask him to explain his behavior and then tell him how God has called us to live...plus repenting, forgiving and followed by kisses and hugs. One that he is getting very good at is on obedience...All the way, Right away, With a Happy Heart. I am so thankful for tools like these that help with parenting because I feel so inadequate at times. I think I get really overwhelmed at times to think about my responsibility as a parent...but then I am comforted remembering God's sovereignty and his amazing grace. I am thankful that He is strong when I am weak and that He is still glorified through my inadequacies.

1 comment:

Momathon said...

Yes, those kinds of helps really are little miracles for parents. It is such a tough job, and we are all learning it on the fly. I am rejoicing that you can already see the effects! Believe me, the future benefit is FANTASTIC to have the foundation you are laying now. Keep going mama!