Tuesday, July 03, 2007

the slippery slope



Last week we had VBS at our church with the Peacemaking curriculum. We had it at night at the church with church, school and neighborhood kids and although it was a busy week for our whole family, I enjoyed it so much. Ethan looked forward to it each night and I wasn't sure how many of the concepts of peacemaking were making sense to him...until yesterday. We had a couple of magnets from a local pizza place on our frig that were in the shape of a pizza slice...and Ethan was putting them together in the shape of the "slippery slope" model and saying "this is the top of the slippery slope mommy". And then he told me we were missing a piece because he needed the other side of the slippery slope. So whether or not he really understood all of it, it has definitely set a foundation to build on and as he grows up we can teach him how God has called us to respond to others when conflict arises. And as he and Jude grow up I know I will be able to ask them "are you using attack responses with each other as you're playing or peacemaking responses?" I am so thankful for our church family that is working as a community to help us as we raise and parent our children...the commitment they made when we baptized our children in church. I am thankful for Ethan's teacher during VBS and how she loved and taught the kids so well. I know our church isn't perfect by any means but it's so exciting for me to see how each part of the body of Christ works together to make up the whole body and serve to glorify him in using our talents and gifts.
"The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body...but in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be...now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it." I Corinthians 12: 12,18,27
*UPDATE* - Ethan just informed me that we had sin in our heart and that it shouldn't come out of our mouth (meaning unwholesome talk)...lessons one and four from VBS...how cute is that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to hear this and know that you will be reinforcing what he learned. Now if only Jude would understand that too--ha. Love Mom H

Anonymous said...

I'm sending this post to my pastor who did the VBS "Peacemaker Clubs." (I'm assuming that's the one you used???)

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL.

Thanks for encouraging us all!

Love,
Tara B.