Sunday, July 22, 2007

hooray for pre-K

We just got our Pre-K home school curriculum in the mail a few days ago and I have been in the process of going through it and trying to figure out where to begin. You would think since I am a Elementary Ed. major that this would not intimidate me...but it does. Ethan was so excited about his books arriving and asks when he can start...let's just hope his enthusiasm continues once we start. Which leads into why I am a bit nervous...and this is only Pre-K. I want this to be a good start to a 'formal' education for him. Learning takes place everyday but book learning is a different thing. I don't want to push him in areas he is not ready for (developmentally, mentally) yet at the same time challenge him with what he is capable of.
-I need to pray for patience this year because I know that I am not patient when it comes to having to repeat myself.
-I pray too that I will have clarity in how I'm teaching so that it will make sense from a 4 year old's point of view.
-I pray that I will be able to create an excitement for learning so that he looks forward to school time.
-And I pray that God will give me wisdom to set a solid foundation to build on, so that Ethan will have a grasp of God's amazing Love and Grace in our lives. That he will be able to see God in and through all aspects of our life.


I am thankful that God gives us the intellect to learn. It will be hard for me to not boast in the accomplishments of my children and pat myself on the back...but to remember that any knowledge that we gain is from God alone. I am just the vessel that He uses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those books look so pretty and inviting! I am praying for you. I can't wait for the day we get our box (it will be a few years).

Momathon said...

Erin, You will do a great job. I'll be praying for you. It is intimidating, for sure, but it is incredibly rewarding, as well. There are a lot of great "firsts' to witness when you are teaching at home, so get ready to be amazed!