Tuesday, July 31, 2007

brain overload

I've been discussing a book called Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls (author Rachel Simmons) with a friend of mine, Colleen, who has been our youth intern this summer while she's been home from college. I have enjoyed getting to know Colleen more and more through our discussions and listening to her insight on life, God and how He is teaching and growing her. I know the youth group has been blessed by her this summer as well.



So on to my post title...I am a slow processor and this book had a lot packed into it...hence the title "brain overload". I do process so much better discussing something one on one (not in a group because before I can get my thought together the group has moved onto something else and what I had to say wouldn't make sense anymore). So I am glad that Colleen and I got to discuss it. It is shocking to me that this aggression in young girls is real and not just in the movies (Mean Girls). It was sad to read because these young girls (and the author) are lost and hopeless...with no real answers...just things to blame - parents, society, teachers, not having "tools" to deal with it, not being empowered enough...and missing the only answer...Christ...and the hope that He brings through his promises to us.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

What great Hope and Peace!
I am thankful that Christ gives me purpose and fulfillment.
This book helped me to see that:
1) I am not far from these girls as far as the sin and selfishness I have in my heart
2) There is a lot of hurt and lost people in this world that need to hear the Good News of the Gospel
3) Thankfulness that God calls me his child and that even through my sin, his love is never failing
4) I don't need to live up to someones expectations or search what completes me in this world...God "fulfills his purpose for me." Psalm 57:2
5) God has given me all kinds of friends...mean, nice, listeners, talkers, shallow, deep, compassionate, moody, loving...all have taught me many things about myself, who God is and how I am to treat and love others. I define myself in Christ, not by who is my friend or how I have been treated by my friends.

No comments: