Sunday, December 21, 2008

December 21


Christmas Caroling

Tonight our church had their annual event of bringing boxes full of dinner foods to a neighborhood of about 28 families who live in transitional housing while they are trying to "get back on their feet". Then we sing Christmas Carols and visit with the families in the courtyard area. This is my favorite thing to do as a family this holiday season. First, because it's uncomfortable and I want my boys to see that sometimes ministering or helping others can sometimes be uncomfortable especially when they are strangers to us...but that shouldn't stop us from helping/giving to those around us. And second, I want them to see that Christmas is not about us. I want this time of year to be about celebrating and remembering Christ's birth and showing others His love...not about all the presents they will receive Christmas morning.

Do I think all these families really "need" these dinner boxes and that this one box of food will really make a difference? Maybe not. There are probably many other issues these families have to work through in order to "get back on their feet." Is this going to bring these families to a relationship with Christ? Maybe not but I know that if this were a family I knew well, I wouldn't think twice about bringing dinner over to them and wanting to show them kindness. So I pray that God is glorified through our measly efforts to reach out to others and that these families will come to know the great hope and salvation we have in Christ through faith in Him.

No comments: