Monday, April 28, 2008

worship

I started this blog to do exactly what the title says...tell you about Life with the Wood Family. I didn't want to use it as a place to give my opinions of what's wrong about politics, religion, the world, etc. But this is a topic heavy on my heart...so here we go. We live in a culture where church is only attended if it is convenient and entertaining. The biggest complaint we hear at our church is that it is boring and too heavy (yes we don't want to be challenged to think, that is too much work)...boring to them particularly when it comes to "worship". I feel that the whole church service is a form of worship, but here in Hawaii the word is used for the music in the church service. Words do really work as a virus that spreads discontentment and strife...and it is now affecting the hearts of the youth in the church as well. Parents, don't think that the complaints and foolishness of your own hearts aren't imitated by your children. Instead we should be teaching them the importance of worship, in all things, with our hearts and minds...as well as our emotions. It's an attitude of the heart.

"Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs." Psalm 100:2

It doesn't say "unless the music is really dull". Pay attention to the words that you're singing...not just the music. Are all songs sung in my church my favorite? Not all, but guess what....it's not about me. It's about worshiping my Lord and Savior with songs, meditating on the words and giving glory and praise to Him...not being entertained by amazing instruments or watered down lyrics that sound good in harmony. Do instruments and harmony have a place in church? Absolutely. But they are not the focus. If we were singing songs that weren't Biblical, then by all means stand up in protest. But if we are singing songs that are praising God for his glory, singing his mightiness, standing in awe of who he is...than shame on you for complaining that it's too dull. God our Father is the farthest from dull or boring.

"Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.
They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works.
They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds.
They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness. " Psalm 145:3-7

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to teach sunday school to the Senior high next week. That was great! - Jason

Anonymous said...

Amen!! It also includes adults too. Mom H

Anne said...

I agree, Erin! My grandmother used to say that if you're bored, you're boring. In other words, if you're bored, it says more about you than about what you're complaining about.

And I've found that if I'm disappointed in worship on Sunday, it's because I haven't been worshiping well Monday through Saturday.

Julie said...

Good post. My husband tells his students, "Boredom is a result of ignorance."

bobw said...

thanks Erin. your thoughts remind me of a new book I just finished called "Worship Matters". or maybe you just read it too? :-)

anyway, it's geared toward worship leaders and pastors, but has a lot of good reminders like this. it's a high honor and priviledge to lead God's people in worship, yet it can be a struggle. it is entirely possible to sing of God's greatness in a not-so-great way.

but I think you've got it right, it's all about God, not us.

Joc said...

Right on sista-friend.

Momathon said...

You said that perfectly, Erin.