Tuesday, April 29, 2008

baby J goes home...

Well today we are a family of 4 again. Baby J was able to go live with his extended family for the time being. To be honest we were looking forward to this day (because we were so tired and cranky and overwhelmed with how to take care of a drug baby) but it has really been a sad day. Having a newborn around was a bit overwhelming and exhausting, but we really grew to love that sweet little face. I walked in the house today after running some errands and sadness swept over me as I saw a baby blanket and the baby swing still out. Jason called this morning and said he had been thinking about Baby J this morning, too, when he was out in town and saw a mother pushing her baby in a stroller and blowing her cigarette smoke all over the poor child. We just pray that Baby J will be in a loving environment that is safe and we truly pray that he will come to know the Savior as his own. We were able to meet the uncle, auntie and grandparents yesterday and they are so excited to take him in. So we felt better about where he was going. But my thoughts this afternoon have been I hope he's okay and I hope he is loved and I hope they know the way he likes to be rocked or burped or swaddled. This was probably the hardest experience we have gone through as a family and a learning experience for us all. Do we want to foster newborns again? Probably not at this time in our lives. Do we still want to foster children? Absolutely. Without a doubt.

4 comments:

shanna said...

Erin. This almost made me cry. It's amazing that you had this part in Baby J's life and will never forget him. He may not have anyone else praying for him. What a sweet gift the Lord has given your family and the baby. It's so weird that you were his sole providers for a while and now someone else is going to take care of him. This is exactly why people don't foster. Good job on not quitting. I really really respect you guys!

RT said...

This post made me teary, too. You've done an awesome thing by caring for this little guy... It's a sacrifice to welcome someone into your family at any time, even moreso a newborn! May God watch over Baby J.

Joc said...

What a blessing to be able to experience this. The loving of a little one, and the giving him over in peace. Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jason and Erin...

So I randomly read your blog when I get the chance, and I had to respond to this one. I can't imagine the different emotions that you must be feeling right now, as you've welcomed someone into your home and life and now you've seen him leave. Thank you for your vulnerability and for the example you set for many of us to be faithful in the things God brings into our lives--even for short periods of time.