Wednesday, October 31, 2007

F is for fireman and froggy

Such excitement!
Giving a little of their shy side.
Jude giving the "what sup" head nod.
Ethan probably thinking "enough with the pictures already. I just want to go get candy"...
...and Jude wondering what exactly was going on.

We had lots of fun tonight....playing games, getting candy and having some good family time! We first started off at a local church's Fall Festival party and then headed off to our friend's neighborhood (which is apparently the place to be on Halloween). Ethan was an old pro and his costume seemed to be a big hit since he was the only firefighter around. And Jude being new at the whole 'trick or treat' idea, quickly figured out how to look cute and get candy in his bag.

My friend RT had an interesting link on her blog about Halloween....I don't think I ever heard of Halloween being a Christian holiday (or maybe every one else knew that but me) unless it was celebrated as Reformation Day. A very interesting read.

3 comments:

Joc said...

Your boys look great- and I hope you stole some of that candy for yourself! :)

RT said...

Your boys look adorable, Erin!

I'm still not certain what I think of that article, or Halloween for that matter. But I do think it's wrong of Christians to simply hand over a day (even just 1 out of 365) to the devil. We're called to work towards the redemption of creation... so how do we do that? I thought Anthony Bradley's posts were interesting as well.

Momathon said...

It was great to see your boys in the 'hood on Halloween. I did know the origins of Halloween, because it is my favorite holiday. Growing up Catholic, we have a great time of it at our churches. Several years ago, when a believing sister felt compelled to chastize me about our family's Halloween celebration, I researched and discovered that Martin Luther purposefully chose All Hallows Eve as the day to nail his theses. He did so precisesly because of what it meant to the Christian church. In that context, it makes the retreat from Halloween a show of ignorance of one's own faith at best, and a fearful lack of faith at worst.
With that being said, to each his own. :-)