Monday, February 15, 2010

homemade cleaning

For a while now I have wanted to try to make my own cleaning products for a couple of reasons 1) no harsh chemicals 2) less expensive. But I was always hesitant because I didn't know if it would clean as well as the stuff I bought in the store and it seemed like a lot of work. But I found a few "recipes" for homemade products on-line and tried it a couple of months ago. They actually ended up being so easy to make and they actually clean! So for those that care to know, here is what I use. These four products (vinegar, baking soda, castile soap, borax) clean my whole house and it is so cheap (because I can buy in bulk at Costco...i.e. $4 for 5 liters of vinegar)...plus my kids help clean and I don't have to worry about it hurting their skin like the chemicals from other products would.

Multi-Purpose Cleaner

1 spray bottle
Fill half with water and half with vinegar
10-15 each drops of lavender and tea tree essential oils (lavender is anti-bacterial and tea tree is anti-fungal)

I use this spray on counters, tables, floors, toilets and with the lavender and tea tree oils it doesn't have that vinegar-y smell. I don't like my house smelling like pickles.


Soft Scrub

Baking Soda
Castile Soap (I got Lavender scented)

I put the baking soda in a shaker container (cleaned out Parmesan, spice, etc.) and sprinkle it on the surface that I am cleaning. Then I put a few drops of castile soap with it. It has the scrub from the baking soda and the soap-y clean from the soap. This works great on sinks and bathtubs.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Borax
Castile Soap

Sprinkle some borax in the bowl with a few drops of Castile soap. Let sit. Swish around with toilet bowl brush and flush.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I have been wanting to do this forever, but have been lazy at taking the plunge. I think I may do it this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...where do you find the castile soap and the lavender oil stuff? I would love to save money on cleaning products. How do I know if it is safe for certain surfaces?

I was anxiously waiting for this post:)

Tara

Rebekah Crossman said...

that is so awesome. I jusst came across a recipe to make your own liquid laundry deter. and I was thinking about doing it soon.

Joc said...

My fear of the vinegar has always been the pickle thing... so I'm intrigued to hear that it doesn't smell too bad. Thanks for passing this along!

valthecraftygal said...

might do these for MOPS!

kate tolson said...

Hey Erin! I love these ideas and have been doing them, too, and actually, I see your comments a lot on the live renewed blog. (Don't you love her ideas?) I was going to ask you if you've tried the homemade dishwashing detergent and how it worked for you. I've made my own and used it for a few months, but I'm not that happy with it. Just wondering what your thoughts were. It's fun seeing you over there!