Wednesday, November 04, 2009

habits



I think I might patent this...thumb covers to help in kicking the habit of thumb sucking. Maybe I could call them thumb cozies.

Jude's habit has become pretty obsessive, so I felt I had to take drastic measures. Regular old band-aids weren't doing the trick and the bitter tasting polish you can paint on the nail didn't faze him either...he's my kid that will eat a lemon. So I had an idea when I saw these little kids gloves at Target at $1.27 for two pairs (not a high demand for gloves in Hawaii) and cut off the fingers...wa-la, the temptation to put his thumb in his mouth was impeded by a fuzzy covered thumb.

Cruel you say? Actually he thinks it's pretty cool and doesn't complain...although I'm tired of people asking "Jude is your thumb cold?".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clever! I hope it works:)

Tara

Rebekah Crossman said...

My mom used to cover Rachael and my hands at night and put tape around our wrists. We always removed the tape and pulled the thumb out. It never stopped us from sucking our thumbs. I hated that nasty tasting nail polish as well and it didn't work either. Good Luck.

Jonesey said...

Awesome!

Great plan and cute pics!

Anonymous said...

Patent it quick. Very innovative!! Mom

RT said...

Great idea! I think I'll do the same thing for Liv (cutting off all but the two fingers she sucks). I know she'll pull off the glove when she gets really tired, but it's a tool she might use. Thanks for the idea!

Emily @ Live Renewed said...

That's a great idea! My little guy sucks his thumb, he's only 4 months old, but I'm already thinking, how in the world am I going to break him of it! I'll have to keep this idea tucked in the back of my mind for a few years down the road. :)