Friday, February 06, 2009

Big T


Yesterday morning our pet fish, Big T, breathed his last and I found him lifeless at the bottom of the fishbowl. I saw it before the boys did and began to wonder how they would react and what questions they would have...and then I forgot about it until last night. Oops. So after dinner I told Ethan that Big T died and he said "Can I see?" and then asked "Can we go buy another fish?" No tears. No questions, just a simple statement "I guess we should have taken better care of him." I told him it wasn't that we didn't take care of him (although thankfully his water was actually clean when he died...some days it got pretty green before we got a chance to clean it out) but that he was old and fish usually live about that long before they die.

So Jason held the funeral in the bathroom as the boys looked on with fascination as the fish was flushed. They both said "Wow, look at it go around and around." End of story. I guess having a pet fish die is a little different than having a dog or cat pass on. But I told Ethan in a few months when things settle down here, we can look at getting another fish.

Other news
(because there is never a dull moment in our house):

I had a friend take the boys into the doctor this morning and Ethan has two ear infections and both of he and Jude are on Ibuterol because of chest colds. Ansley has a stuffy nose which keeps her from sleeping very long. Jason is pretty overwhelmed due to his job and lack of sleep. And I feel pretty tired (I don't know how many times I walk into the other room and stop because I can't remember why I went into that room. Or I'm talking and mid-sentence can't remember what I was saying). Do I feel overwhelmed...yep! Am I going to survive...probably, although at times I doubt. Thankfully I have a mom that I can cry over the phone to and she encourages me and prays for me. And that I have a church family that takes care of us (provides meals, watches the boys, takes them to the doctor, etc.) and other friends that offer to bring meals and take the boys for the afternoon (before they were sick) so I can rest or get some things done. And most importantly I have a Savior that gives me strength and perseverance and gives me new mercies every morning. Praise God!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there mama! I know things are so crazy right now. I remember people would bring me over meals and I couldn't wait until they left so I could burst into tears! It's very hard being a new mama. If the hormones don't get you down then the lack of sleep will. Add to that having sick kids...and whammo... you're overwhelmed. I wish I could fly back there and help out. Jason's parents will be there soon and that will help. One day at a time...one hour at a time...sometimes one minute at a time. Call me soon:)
Love you, Tara

ERH said...

I will pray for you. I know you know that I was where you are just a few months ago. Things are still crazy with three but i think those first few months are so overwhelming. I will truly pray that God gives you "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" and that everyone starts feeling better and sleeping more.

Joc said...

I wish I could come help! But that darn ocean is in the way. So I'll keep on praying for you.