Thursday, September 11, 2008

a little more nature

So this is the post on my newest endeavor to be a horticulturist...thought I would hurry and take pictures while everything still looked green and lush. Here is our grape tomato plant...green and thriving. I've heard that grape tomato plants do well here in Hawaii. Plus I think grape tomatoes have the best flavor.
See all of the flowers on it. Very promising!
We also planted some basil (once again), eggplant and golden zucchini (yellow squash). Now I realize that squash plants like lots of room so hopefully they'll enjoy growing up along the railing for space. We'll see. But zucchini and squash are so expensive here that I hope I can just grow my own.
Our neighbor gave us a sprig of her spearmint (which is the only variety that seems to grow well in Hawaii...Kentucky something variety) and our faithful aloe plant that has lasted through the many plant killings over the last few years.
The boys picked out two flowers each and we planted them in this flower pot here. Quite a variety but they enjoy watering them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far so good. Looks really green and very promising. Just keep watering and fertilizing. Mom H

Joc said...

And grape tomatoes are the best for bruschetta too! :)
I'm impressed with your container garden. Good call on planting the spearmint in a pot. It'll go CRAZY the second you let it roam free. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Maybe you should invest in those aqua globes that you put in the pot and they water the plants for you. I thought about doing that, since I kill plants too by forgetting to water them:)

Tara