Monday, September 22, 2008

the gecko


When you live in Hawaii you have to be okay with living with nature...not outside but inside your house. There are the geckos, cockroaches (not due to lack of cleanliness), ants (also not due to lack of cleanliness), centipedes and the occasional bird that has flown in our open door. It took a little while for me to get used to the geckos that come out at night and chirp. People kept telling me they are good because they eat all the bugs (especially the mosquitoes) and they're harmless. So I tried to accept these little creatures sharing my home with me....because no matter how hard you try, you can't keep them out (thanks to the lovely jalousie windows).
So each night we are greeted with a family of geckos that come out of the light fixtures, behind picture frames or where ever else they hide and wait for their meals to come crawling by (and every once in a while chirp to one another). After a while I stopped jumping every time I saw one scurry across the ceiling or wall. But the part that was okay with me is that they hung out in our family/kitchen/dining room that has a vaulted ceiling....lots of space between me and the geckos. So this has been a good thing we had going for about 3 years now. But of course there will always be a rebel among the group...one that doesn't want to do what everybody else is doing, wants to be different...and has ventured on back to our bedroom to claim as his home. This is not okay with me. First of all I don't like sleeping knowing there is a reptile crawling around my room and could possibly fall on my face while I am sleeping. Second, geckos leave little deposits all over the place (which is highly annoying/disgusting to clean up especially in my bedroom).
This is what I get to clean up now. Do you see it? Gecko poop on my walls....
...and on my window sills. This is not okay with me. I might have to figure out a way to capture this little gecko friend and find a new home for him elsewhere...unless I can train him to eat the cockroaches...then he can stay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwwwwwww! Yucky gecko-poop! I'd be worried about that stuff falling in my mouth while I slept;)

Tara

Anonymous said...

Since it is now September 23rd here in Missouri, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIN! Your card will be coming in about a week....oops:)

Tara

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday ERin!! Have a great celebration. Mom H