Saturday, January 19, 2008

a hawaiian tea

Today was our first WIC event for the new year. We had a women's tea and brunch. I love getting together for fellowship and great food.


Whenever I do an event like this I always think how I would rather be behind the scenes doing something, and not be the person in charge...I just want to be comfortable and have an easy life. Our pastor's wife spoke at the tea today and she talked about how we grow the most when we are taken out of our comfort zones. If we're comfortable we tend to think that we can rely on our own strength, but when we are overwhelmed and uncomfortable we can't do anything but fall on our knees before God. This has definitely been my experience this year, but I'm sad to say that at times my first reaction wasn't to run to God for strength and comfort. So I thought I would share some things that God is continuing to teach me through this experience of being WIC president:

  1. God's strength is mightier than anything I could muster up in myself
  2. loving a difficult person can only be done with the love God has given me and he commands me to love my neighbor
  3. delegate and trust that those people will get it done even if it's not how I would have done it
  4. patience, patience, patience
  5. enjoy the process and not be impatient for the end result
  6. be flexible for things not to go the way I had planned
  7. I am a selfish person that takes for granted God's grace in my life
  8. people come from all different backgrounds and I should never judge a person
  9. if I lose joy in the process, then I need to step back and ask God for joy
  10. #1 goal in all that I do should be that God would be glorified and that His glory would be seen
  11. I have an amazing husband, that I take for granted, who loves and supports me in all that I do (such as doing laundry, watching the boys and cleaning up the house while I was at the tea this morning so that when I came home I could relax)

Thank you Lord for your sanctification, that you show me my weaknesses. Please help me to be teachable so that I will know (and live) that your grace is sufficent.

1 comment:

Malia said...

Fun! I wish I had been there. Erin, you do so great with the WIC council. It seems like it comes naturally to you. How cool that God gives you the strength to do it so well. I was wishing for an easy life earlier today and remembered that, if it was easy, I wouldn't be growing in the Lord asking him to help me through it. Keep going and know that all of your work is appreciated even by your friends and sisters in Christ a few time zones away!