Friday, January 18, 2008

chocolate chip flaxseed cookies


I found this recipe in a magazine. Usually when I try a recipe from a magazine it never turns out right...it's like they don't test the recipes before they print them. But this cookie recipe was super tasty and with some healthy ingredients...the 1/2 cup flaxseed equals more healthy lignans (antioxidants) than 10 cups of broccoli. Anyway they've been a big hit around here...even with Jason, so if we have to eat cookies why not make them a little healthy too.


1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
1 T vanilla extract
3/4 cup natural brown sugar
1/2 cup unbleached, natural granulated sugar
1 egg
1 12-oz. package dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
2 T water (I added this ingredient because it needed it)

Cream butter, flaxseed meal and sugars until mixed. Add egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and soda. Mix thoroughly and stir wet ingredients. This is when I added the water to make the dough form a ball. Add chocolate chips. Drop onto cookie sheet (they are very stiff cookies so you have to mash them a little before you bake them). Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those look yummy. wonder how many weight watcher's points they are... I'd probably binge on them.

glad you are back!

jillymcnelly said...

These are great! I'm making them for the second time! I think I'll make them with 1/4 c less flour this time since I had to add water last time to make them moist enough....they are so delish though :)