Thursday, July 02, 2009

in season

One of my favorite parts of summer is the fruit that is in season. The local fruits like mangoes are better than anything I've ever bought in the grocery store. Our neighbor dropped these off yesterday and we have been snacking on them ever since (there used to be 6 of them). But the other tasty fruit (that isn't local) are cherries...they don't beat the fresh ones I picked off the trees in Budapest, Hungary when I was in college but they are still pretty good. My boys and I sit at the table eating away at our Costco size container and using our fancy-schmancy cherry-pitter kitchen gadget that my friend Troye gave us...I love kitchen gadgets. It looks like a torture device but honestly it is worth the drawer space to get...especially since we love the fruit so much. The one fruit I really miss are the sweet Georgia peaches. So far there has been nothing that can even compare here...but you can't have everything here in beautiful, sunny Hawaii.

2 comments:

ERH said...

yum. every time i eat a mango i think of you and how you taught me how to cut one right! i wish we could do a peach/mango exchange but i guess we'll enjoy the peaches and you the fresh mangos! have a great 4th of july!

joc said...

Okay, so last summer M's grandparents gave us a LOT of cherries from their cherry tree and I went in search of a cherry pitter... because who wants to pit a gallon of cherries? And I couldn't find one ANYwhere in chatt! Now I'll know I can just come borrow yours. :)
Looks like y'all had a fun fourth!