Monday, July 06, 2009

beach walks in the evening

Ansley's first sand experience...which was short lived after stuffing two hand-fulls of sand into her mouth and reaching for more.
My two part human/part fish boys who love the water and waves.

Ethan was snapping pictures and this was the one of me...proof that I do exist in this family.
Where Ansley ended up after her 32 second "fun in the sand" incident where she continued to chew on the sand in her mouth that I couldn't sweep out with my finger...gross!

These are times that remind me that Hawaii is a great place to live...which I know most of you probably think that is a given. And yet most of the time I find all of the reasons why I would rather be living on the mainland. It's a great lesson to be stripped of a lot of comforts of life. Because of the expense of living here (and working in a ministry) we learn to make it without a lot of "stuff" and comforts. The distance from family and everyone we knew makes us rely on God more, our little family or on our church community. Living in a culture that is different than what I'm used to teaches me to appreciate other ways of living. But all of this also teaches me contentment no matter where we are because it will always seem greener somewhere else and we will always be longing for more because we are made for something bigger than this. So I'm glad for these times when I am reminded to love God and his plan for our lives because it is far greater than what I could have planned for us...or I can gripe and complain about the circumstances and waste time wishing it were different. So this night, God once again showed me that you can find joy in where you're at and trust him, trust him, trust him with the rest.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I am having some the same discontentment right now. Thanks for this post.

Rebekah Crossman said...

Thanks for your post. I have those same dicsontentment with life and expenses. It has been a year now that I quit my job to stay at home. Not sure where my paycheck went and we are making it without it. Doing with less is what happens and we are still fine. Yesterday was one of those days where I wish I was still working. Having a fussy baby and a third old demanding my attention and me with little sleep. It really got to me, then I had to take a step back and realize that this is what God has planned for us.

Anonymous said...

It will be a lesson that will be learned again and again. But contentment in God's will is best. Even though I would love for you all to be closer--I mean as in on the same continent--I have to remember that you are in God's hands. Love ya, Mom H

Joc said...

Those are beautiful pics, Erin, and beautiful words.

Anonymous said...

I think Ansley could win a baby photo contest in that first picture! What a cutie. I'm going through Anna's clothes today and will be taking them to Once Upon A Child for some cash. It's so hard to part with some of these outfits. And you know me-I'm not sentimental, but they were so cute and she hardly wore them. I didn't have any trouble parting with the boys' clothes, but girl's clothes are different. Sigh....

Tara