Tuesday, March 03, 2009

update on our butterflies

So I just realized that I never told the rest of the story on our morphing caterpillars...I'm sure you were all on the edge of your seats. Ethan did well to document this whole experience on film, so all credit goes to him for the pictures below.

We left off with the caterpillars eating our plants down to the stems. Then they started to pack up and leave to find more food. So we captured them all and put them in our butterfly house that Jason built and went on a search for more Crown Flower leaves.

After driving all over town we finally ended up back at the plant nursery to buy a couple more plants. The very nice owner of the plant nursery must have felt sorry for my very large pregnant state and gave us two plants for free. So we took them home and gave our caterpillars food.All I have to say is those little things sure do eat a lot. Then they finally spun their cocoons (chrysalis')...look very carefully and you can see it through the screen. After about 10 days (I think...I was in a foggy sleep deprived state at this point and the days all kind of blended together) a beautiful Monarch butterfly emerged. They would just hang out for a little while until their wings dried and then they were off. Such excitement in our house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... I miss the butterflies, among other things:)

Tara

Anonymous said...

Ethan sure has a way with a camera. Aren't there any upside down pictures of butterflies? Mom H

Joc said...

I probably won't come visit any time soon with those ghastly things flying around. Scary.
:)