Friday, February 08, 2008

women's ministry in the local church

I just read this in the book Women's Ministry in the Local Chuch by Ligon Duncan and Susan Hunt for our WIC Council meeting tomorrow. It was just what I needed to hear/read. A great reminder:

"If we're not captivated by the beauty and significance of the church, we will lack the motive-force to serve her because when we begin to serve God's people we quickly discover that they hurt and disappoint us. A biblical ecclesiology reminds us that we have the privilege of following in our Savior's footsteps and loving those who are not in and of themselves lovely."

The book goes on to say:

"...we will never be able to sustain the call to service that God has given to us...It is only the grace of Christ that enables us to persevere."

I echo this prayer at the end of the chapter:

"...that He will give me particular love for the place and people where He has assigned me."

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hi Erin!
I am really interested in reading that book. Recently our church has been asking the "young people" to get more involved. They have asked us to think about starting a WIC women's circle that could meet at night for those who work. This book seems like it would be a good subject for us to consider. We have also been asked to plan the women's banquet. If you have any ideas for us please email me or Joc. I really enjoy reading your blog & feeling caught up with you family.
jess