Tuesday, February 05, 2008

responsibility chart



Ethan got the Melissa & Doug Magnetic Responsibility Chart for Christmas from his Grandma Wood. He loves completing a chore and putting a smiley face by it...he even has done a couple of chores without my prompting, just so he could put a smiley face on the chart. I see a future list maker in the making...like father like son. So after figuring out what chores we wanted Ethan to do, we set it up on his chart. They are fairly simple for him right now (i.e. brush teeth, get dressed, pick up toys, etc.) but we did add a few that are new to him (i.e. make bed, set table, feed pet, etc.).
So after using this chart for a couple of weeks I started thinking that maybe I needed a chart...not with smiley faces or magnets, but a schedule to follow. I've been convicted lately about my laziness. So on my refrigerator I have my morning "chores" and my weekly "chores". And it's amazing to see how I use my time better when I have a plan (a flexible one but it is a plan). And I know that my example is what my children will learn from, so I hope that stewardship, responsibility, doing a job for the betterment of the community (family) and seeing a job that needs to be done and doing it without needing rewards (money or prizes) will be instilled in them...that is my prayer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need one of those charts and smiley faces--well probably not. But a good way to teach responsibility and work. Good for Ethan. Mom H

Anonymous said...

That chart is so cool Erin. We may just have to get one like that, or copy it and make one! But what I really want to see is YOUR chart, because a morning check list sounds like a really good idea. But most of the work for me seems like deciding what I should do daily and what I should do weekly. So will you share? :) -MichelleW

Tabitha said...

Great encouragement, Erin. I've been thinking about doing the same thing for me... as my Jude may be a little too young for chores yet :). Love your blog and am excited about our dinner blog too!