Tuesday, September 18, 2007

beach cruiser


This is my early birthday present...a beach cruiser bicycle. I have been wanting one for a few reasons:

1- I'm over mountain biking but still love to ride my bicycle
2- The large comfy seat (I was tired of SBS after riding my mountain bike...Sore Bum Syndrome)
3- The tall handlebars, so that I don't have to bend over while I'm riding my bike (bad for my posture)

...I'm all about the comfort of cruising.

I've been looking for a used one and my only criteria was that it wasn't hot pink (which seems to be the popular thing here). So Jason happened to find one at the local thrift store and told me to go check it out to see if that was what I was looking for...the price was right. The salesman got the bike down for me to "try it out"...probably assuming I had some knowledge on what a good bike is, besides the comfort thing, and before I could say I'll take it, he informed me that he would take 25% off the price. So without any hesitation, I said I would take it...I couldn't wait to tell Jason that I got it less than what we thought was a good deal to begin with. As I strolled up to the front to check out, glowing over a good bargain and ready to hand over the money, he then told me "you know what, I'll go ahead and take 50% off". I didn't know what to say except that he already had me at 25%.

Needless to say I was very excited and decided once I got home to take it for a test drive. I went across the street from our house to the neighborhood with the nice flat sidewalks and pretty houses, and guess who I saw? For those of you who are LOST fans this is exciting...the rest of you will have no idea who I'm talking about...running on the other side of the street was Matthew Fox (a.k.a. Jack Shepherd). As I was trying to speed up so he didn't think I was trying to follow him, his wife pulled up in her car and he stopped to talk while I sped by. I'm not sure why movie stars seem so different and interesting...they are regular people like everyone else.
But anyway, I like my new cruiser and I am looking forward to cruising around town more often.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Sweet! I've been asking for one of those for Christmas.

And I never would have guessed you were a TV star stalker. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The bike is cool... and so is Matthew Fox! Of course, living in Hawaii sound amazing, too.

Happy early birthday!

-Rebecca T.

Joc said...

I can just picture you speeding up to get a closer look. Hilarious! That bike looks great. Miss you!

Tabitha said...

Fun story!!
I love your new bike ... and how the thrift store man just felt the need to make sure you bought it! :) What a sweet blessing! I have a similar bike that I love and can't wait to start riding again once baby boy arrives!

Anonymous said...

Great story Erin! Love the bike. What color is it? Mom H