Sunday, March 27, 2011

same week - part 2

This post is the same week but the emotional heavy side. It started off pretty normal except Jason had a work trip to Texas with some other staff members to observe some other Christian Classical schools. I knew we would miss him and the week would be exhausting but we've done it before and I knew we could do it again. I then had my doctors appointment where I was told my baby is on the small side and they want to do an ultrasound to make sure she is growing fine. They say it's really nothing, just being overly cautious. So I tell myself not to worry.

On Tuesday we got word that a new family to our church had one of their children in the hospital due to a fall from a second story window. From then until Thursday we got updates a few times a day on his condition and by Thursday his parents were given the devastating news that their 5 year old son was gone. There is so much I could say about the testimony of this family, my roller coaster emotions this week, this little boys faith, the fear I dealt with for my own children, the exhaustion, the church service this morning, the church body surrounding this family with support and prayer, the humility it brought to so many of us, the anger, the tears, the sadness, overwhelming thoughts, the prayers, wanting a miracle so badly, remembering God is a sovereign God and being reminded His will is for our good. This family's life was changed in an instant and it will never be the same. Yet through their tears this morning the family rejoiced that their little boy still has life in heaven with his heavenly Father and repented openly of their unbelief through these past few days. As Christians we are not promised a life without pain and suffering. The difference is that we have the comfort of the Spirit, the amazing love of the Father and hope in our Savior to unite us in his Glory. Death is not the final word. There is still grieving and sadness and will be for a long time. But knowing and believing what is Truth...what God has promised helps us to heal. My heart still breaks for this family and I still hug my children tighter every chance I get, but it also has made me very aware of how much I want to control my life, how much I desire comfort and how scared I am to trust in His perfect will.

3 comments:

RT said...

Wow, Erin. What a tragedy--and yet what faith you've expressed as well.

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for the family. This is hard and yet God wants His children to rally around this family with prayer, help, support, and love--praying for the family. Mom

Joc said...

Oh Erin! Heart-wrenching, heart-softening, heart-opening, I pray. Thinking of you. Please update with news of a good report at the doctor. I hope Jason was able to come home and be a support.