Tuesday, July 27, 2010

hike of a lifetime

Not that our anniversary hike wasn't special but this hike was quite the feat for me. I hiked this with some friends of mine a couple of weeks ago. It is a "trail" here on Oahu called the Stairway to Heaven...and the whole trail is actually a stairway...3,900 steps to be exact. So I had to document this because I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it again. Not because it wasn't amazing but because my legs and arms would give up in protest. We started off early in the morning...sun just coming up kind-of-early and we hiked half of it in the clouds. Which means mist and wind. We summited after about 1 1/2 hours and couldn't see a thing because we were sitting in a cloud. So after some rest, a snack and some photos of the old military satellite tower (kind of LOST looking) that is the destination point, we headed back down...just as the clouds started clearing away which are the amazing pictures that you see below....breathtaking (thanks to my friend with a great camera).


Half way down point...giving my arms a break. Thanks to someone in our group who had an extra glove because most of the way down was using your arms to "swing" down (using the railing) or "slide" your hand down the rail.

3 comments:

joc said...

oh my word, I am so impressed. That sounds like the kind of thing that I would do just to say I'd done it, not because it sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Breath taking! You and Tara are into climbing lately. Mom

RT said...

That's a phenomenal view! And hike! God bless Hawaii... and you for blogging about it.