Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Titus 2

Women mentoring women....this idea has come up a lot over the past year...especially since I've been involved with the WIC ministry in our church and more recently the women's retreat we just had at our church. Titus 2: 4-5 says:

"Then they (older women) can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."

God gave us and has blessed us with friendships with fellow believers...to give encouragement, to be challenged and to be pointed to Christ. Not that long ago I approached a friend of mine at church and asked if we could get together for lunch sometime...I asked if she could be a mentor to me. She has been married a little longer than I have, her kids are a little older than mine and she is someone I truly admire. It's not because I think she has the perfect marriage or the perfect life, but it's because she has always been completely honest to me about her life and has encouraged me in more ways than she probably knows. As nervous as I was about asking her to be my mentor (the whole fear of rejection thing), the times that I have been able to meet with her have brought so much joy and encouragement to me. As we laugh, cry, share our stories and remind each other of the gospel - I leave so encouraged and so thankful to God for my friend.

I would encourage anyone that is reading this to pray for and find that person (it may not even be someone you know well) to be completely open and honest about your sin (because sometimes my sin doesn't seem real until I say it out loud to someone). She has challenged me to love my husband and children, to be self-controlled, to be kind, to be subject to my husband... not necessarily by saying those exact words but by the way she desires and strives to be obedient to God.

"Godly women who have embraced the truth of God's creation design and redemptive calling for women are called to train women to think and live according to biblical principles of womanhood. This is the kind of life-on-life discipleship that guides and nurtures to maturity." (Women's Ministry in the Local Church, p. 124)

3 comments:

Anne said...

WooHoo!!! It's so cool to see this in practice! Thanks for sharing.

Joc said...

Erin- thanks for the encouragement and the challenge of this! I have many thoughts, but I'll e-mail them to you. :)

Joc

Momathon said...

That is really wonderful. I am proud of you for reaching out and asking for mentorship. That "fear of rejection" can be paralyzing. Praise God for your stepping out in faith.