Friday, April 20, 2007

my name is erin and I'm a control freak



If you have ever dropped by my house unannounced you would know that my life is far from spotless or perfect. I would love to be super organized and have a place for everything...but in all reality it doesn't happen. I do get that random urge every once in a while to get a toothpick and old toothbrush to really clean the bathroom well, but normally I feel like I'm doing well if the laundry gets done. So it's weird for me to have to admit that I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to raising my children. I am a huge fan of schedules and routines. I organize the toy bins every week or so (cars, blocks, balls, play food, animals, etc.). I like to write out charts and check lists. Hand sanitizer is my friend. I stain stick my childrens clothes when they get a spot on it. And I'm not a fan of the "learning to feed yourself" stage. I can give them peas, cut up carrots or cut up bananas but I am not the parent that can give their kids a bowl of spaghetti and sauce and say go at it. But I also realize that Jude is at the age where he is able to start feeding himself with a spoon. So Gerber has this spoon that has little holes on it and a curved handle to make this process less messy...so they say. As you can see Jude absolutely loved feeding himself and although the holes helped the food to stay on it longer, he still managed to get yogurt all over the place...I just have to keep telling myself - this is teaching him fine motor skills, this is helping him developmentally, this is teaching him fine motor skills....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was really exciting to see Fuller get better and better at feeding himself. However, he still really likes it when we feed him, which makes me think he is going backwards in development.

Your boys are so cute!

sbh said...

Erin, this so resonates with me because I had the hardest time letting Huntleigh learn to feed herself with her own utensils. I am such a control freak when it comes to organization and cleanliness. And I think it is really kind when people help us clean up after a play date or when the baby-sitter puts toys away for us, but I secretly always go back and I put toys away exactly where I like to put them. I have to know that every toy is in its place and I like to know where all the pieces are. I suppose I am a bit obsessive-compulsive, but I know it helps me to be more calm as a mom and as a wife. This blog just made me laugh, because I am so like you in this way. I hope you are doing well. It seems like forever since I have seen you. It has been forever, but at least we have our blogs to know how the other is doing! And I see your mom from time to time. with love, sarah

Joc said...

Erin- I'm sure I'll be the exact same way when I'm a mom... but in the meantime, you're a super mom to those boys, despite your impulse to be in control! Miss you guys and looking forward to May!
Joc

Anonymous said...

Erin, I'm totally there with you. Caleb was such a neat eater, but Alice, she's a mess. And well, I don't like messes. So I try to feed cleaner foods most of the time. Oh well, we all have our thing.
Michelle W