Wednesday, September 15, 2010

homemade deodorant




I found this recipe on-line about a year ago and finally made a batch of it about 6 months ago. I'm sure you've heard of all of the bad reports on aluminum in deodorant and pretty much every antiperspirant has it. So after trying a couple of "natural" deodorants which didn't work at all, I went ahead and tried this. It works amazingly well, so I thought I would share it on my blog if anyone was interested. If you are a big sweater than this won't keep you dry all the time (but for me the antiperspirants didn't always either).
Since using this recipe I have realized a couple of things, the store bought deodorants made me stink worse and I don't sweat under my armpits as much anymore. This homemade recipe keeps the stink away and with the coconut oil it keeps those underarms moisturized (great for keeping razor-burn away).


So basically I saved my old deodorant containers and filled it with my homemade version and once the coconut oil solidifies it becomes a solid deodorant. Here in Hawaii coconut oil liquefies at room temperature because it's always over 80 degrees, so I keep mine in the frig to keep it a solid. Yes people have asked why I have deodorant in my frig.

Here's the recipe:

5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch



This link is where I got my recipe.

This link is explaining how to mix it and use your old deodorant containers.

8 comments:

Ryan said...

Thanks for sharing about your stinky issues. : )

ERH said...

That looks pretty cool. I'm going to have to try in when I finish my deodarant. I wonder if coconut oil is harder to find in the south.

RT said...

I'm ridiculously excited about this. : ) I might try baking soda first, and then your super special recipe. The "natural" deodorants don't work for me at all!

Joc said...

Erin, you are awesome. That is all.

kate tolson said...

Yay...you tried it! I've been waiting till my deodorant runs out so I can have an empty one to put it in. Glad to know this works!

valthecraftygal said...

I am impressed!! I want to try this too.

Jo-knee said...

Way to go Erin. I love your creative talents from sewing to making your own deoderant.

Michelle Thomas Wiegers said...

This is awesome! I've wanted to try something more natural! Thanks for posting this.