Monday, October 05, 2009

my favorite season

A lot of people have been posting their fall pictures on their blogs...the changing leaves, jackets, apple picking, warm drinks, etc. Fall is my favorite season and I always get a little envious this time of year because everything is still green here and I'm still sweating buckets every day. Yes, I realize for some that is exactly what they would want this time of year, but I have realized that I like change...I need change. Maybe it's being an army brat and I'm used to my surroundings changing often...I don't know what it is. But I miss looking forward to the changing of seasons. People say they change here too but going from 89 degrees to 82 isn't what I call change.

So to help myself appreciate the beauty around me I thought I would go around and take pictures of what's out in my back yard.

The Plumeria flower/tree...they make beautiful, sweet smelling leis.

I can't remember what this is called but it has an amazing scent to it

This is some kind of palm type plant that has these wicked thorns on the stems...not a fun plant to trim back.
This plant reminds me of Salvia which is a mainland annual flower but here it just keeps growing and growing.
This is Bougainvillea...a fun name to say once you learn how to pronounce it right.

I believe this is a Heliconia?

Ginger...not to be mistaken for the root.

This tree is so cool looking and I have no idea what it is called.

The Kukui tree flower...


The actual Kukui nut which isn't edible (to my knowledge) but is used in lei's and for it's oil. And we just learned it is our state tree...right in our backyard!

The Ti leaf which is used in some lei's and is used to cook lau lau.

And for some of the fruits you can find in our yard...the Pomegranate.

The Papaya

And the wild tomato plants that grow like crazy...although the tomatoes they produce are small and sour. The birds love them...well and Jude. I just wish I could get my tomato plants to grow like that.

Wait! Is that Fall? Oh, no that tree is always that color. I guess I can just pretend.

Well thanks for coming on the tour. If you made it to the end you must be a lover of plants.

6 comments:

ERH said...

your yard is beautiful. it's amazing you have all those different plants in your backyard. these days we have a lot of grass and dirt. wish we had some more exciting plants like you!

Krista said...

If it makes you feel any better, the Chattanooga fall is kinda dull so far. We had that drought last winter and that pretty much did it for us for the fall.

Still...I know what you mean, Erin. Thanks for sharing the beauty that you do have over there in the islands!

Joc said...

Yes I AM a lover of plants! :) I loved seeing all of your foliage- so interesting! And I gotta say, I'm a little jealous of your pomegranate plant...

Since our trees don't turn colors around here until November, I was so surprised when I got to Seattle last weekend and everything all bright with red and orange. And it made me so excited about it happening here soon! Of course, our dogwood is turning, but he's always the early bird.

Anonymous said...

Loved the back yard tour. That is a lot of beauty in your small yard. The weather here has been cool and the leaves are starting to change but haven't heard if it will be a beautiful color display or not. Will post some pixs at Walgreens. Mom H

Malia said...

I hear you friend. We can't even step outside this week. You feel like you are in a swamp! Oh yeah, New Orleans is a swamp! But at least we have central A.C.- your plants are beautiful and you are so good to always look for the positive side.

valthecraftygal said...

not a lover of plants but of seasons!! I miss them too!!