Wednesday, August 20, 2008

milestone


Just to warn my readers, this post is about potty-training so it may not be of interest to you to read on. But if you are a young mom who feels like their child will never use the potty until they're 18, then be encouraged and keep reading. I can officially say that Jude is now potty trained. Will there be accidents in the future? Probably. But I think he passed a huge hurdle yesterday when we were at a friends house playing outside and he came running up to me saying he had to go "poo-poo". Previously if he was distracted and having too much fun, I ended up cleaning out underpants and shorts. But this time he was able to stop and recognize the "sensation" and come tell me. After about a month of potty training and me almost giving up at least twice (well, more like everyday I had to clean up an accident) and trying later...things have finally clicked. This is the only time I use rewards for our kids....not a believer of the behaviorism (manipulating) thing. So what motivated Jude for going #2 (little pieces of candy worked for going #1) was a Lighting McQueen car and lolli-pops. This is the first time in 5 years that I have not had to change a diaper...until December when this baby girl of ours is born. Praise God for 4 months of being diaper free!
So this post is for Jude...Congratulations, our big boy!! Mommy is really excited for this milestone in your life...really excited!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a big boy! That is indeed a big milestone. Glad you persevered and he "got" it. Having 2 in diapers is crazy--I should know. Mom H

Momathon said...

Good job, Jude! Now you're part of the big boy team!

Joc said...

Congrats to Jude! And so thankful for a break for you!

Rebekah Crossman said...

NO Way! That is so awesome. If only Parker would get the hand of it. He will be 3 in 3 months and I want him potty trained now.
Cute new background on the blog. I saw you on Facebook and invited you as a friend. Take care,
Bekah

Anonymous said...

Love the new background. I thought something was wrong with my computer. Mom H