Thursday, April 19, 2012

cacao

In Hawaii they pronounce it /cuh-cow'/ which is the plant we get our cocoa or chocolate from. My neighbor grows these in her backyard and brought these fruits over to us. So I was determined to make some chocolate. Once I researched it and realized I didn't have the equipment to make creamy chocolate, I decided I would settle on a coarse cocoa powder that I would add to smoothies for it's antioxidants.  

So here are the fruits. The flesh of the fruit (there's not much there) tasted sort of like mango.
Then we dried the beans for a few days until they turned a light brown. After that we roasted them in our oven until they started popping and smelling like chocolate.

 Once they cooled we removed the outer shell until you had just the nibs left.
And then I ground it up in my coffee bean grinder until we had this powder.

2 comments:

Scott and Ashley said...

how cool!

Anonymous said...

I want some please. Mom H