Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#4 Food

There are certain food items here in Hawaii that I know we won't be able to enjoy on the mainland. Here is my list:
Poke (pronounced Po-kay) : my favorite is the Ahi Limu Poke. Limu is seaweed. I also really like sashimi but I know that you can get that on the mainland...not so sure I want to eat it being land-locked and all. Not sure how fresh the fish is in the mid-west unless you get it out of the river. But poke was something I actually craved during my pregnancy and now I am glad I can indulge in this treat once again. (the picture I got off the internet if you're wondering whose manly-tan hand that was)


Apple-bananas: these may look like regular bananas but they are not. It's hard to explain the difference other than they aren't as mushy as a regular banana, are smaller in size and have a little sweeter flavor. Yum!Frozen mochi: I know how to make regular mochi but I'm pretty sure that you can't find frozen mochi on the mainland. Bubbies is my favorite brand, lychee flavored...sooooo yummy!

Chocolate Haupia pie: Ted's Bakery makes the best pie but I was able to find a recipe...probably not the same but I'll have to try it anyway.Malasadas: These warm portuguese doughnuts are melt-in-your-mouth good. Although I do miss Krispy Kreme, those would be a close second to these yummy pastry's. Lychee: I know you can get these canned but there is nothing like fresh Lychee. If I could grow these on the mainland I would.
Bubble Tea: I don't know what it is about a frozen tea drink with tapioca pearls but we love them around here. Hopefully we can find these on the mainland...I've heard it's the newest "coffee shop" drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apple bananas are the best. Not sure if I had some of the other foods. The fish one isn't familiar. Mochi--good. Mom