Sunday, February 20, 2011

grandma


My grandma of 98 years passed away this past week. Because I couldn't make it back for the funeral I wanted to sit and think back on memories, what I knew about her and realize the blessing of having a grandmother like her. One word comes to mind when I think back to the visits we took to grandpa and grandma's house...family. There were always large family gatherings for holidays and special occasions. We were all spread out all over the US but when we came together it was if we all lived next door to one another. As an adult I see how rare that is to 1) have joyful family gatherings 2) a bond with family that is deep because of our connection as a family....a beautiful glimpse of God's people gathered together in eternity.

I remember my grandmother had this laugh that my sisters and mom all inherited. It usually starts with something that wasn't really funny but got her tickled. Then we all asked what was so funny which made her laugh harder so that she couldn't speak. That in turn made us all laugh to the point of crying tears, without even knowing what was so funny. I love that kind of laughing!

I remember my grandmother was always busy making sure everyones needs were met to the point where we would all finish our meal and grandma hadn't even sat down to eat yet. Grandma was a petite little woman but she knew the definition of hard work.

I remember grandma's garden. Beautiful flowers, delicious looking vegetables and a yard that was so fun to play in. Eating corn straight off the cob right after it was picked from the garden.

Christmas's were especially memorable. There are certain foods and desserts that remind me of Christmas time. Three-tired serving dishes. The piano. Folding tables and chairs always filled my grandma's house so that everyone had a seat. Playing card games and board games. Cold mid-west weather but warm and cozy inside. Lots of talking and laughter.

Grandma always had the best toys...pick-up sticks, tinker toys, harmonica.

Church was an integral part in grandmas life. Church attendance every Sunday was important.

I remember grandma's generosity. If you tried to pay her back or pay for something she refused to take it. And every time we got back home from visiting her we always found money she had snuck into our things so that we didn't have a chance to give it back to her.

Now looking back I wish I would have sat down with her more and asked her about her life. Being a mom to 5 children. Being married to a man that loved her dearly. What her childhood was like. What history she remembers from the past century and what it was like to live through it.

What a full life she had. What a legacy she left behind. What a family tree God blessed her with. And how glorious that now she sees Jesus face to face.

6 comments:

Scott and Ashley said...

What a beautiful tribute!

Anonymous said...

Amen!!

Tara

Lindsey said...

She is lovely - what a beautiful story of a well-run race! Praise God she is with Him now. I am sure you will always miss her - we are sorry!

joc said...

Loss is hard no matter how full and long a life is. I love hearing your memories of this her. I hope you can always remember her and tell your kids all about her! Such a legacy she seems to have left.

RT said...

This is lovely, Erin. Your grandmother sounds like a really wonderful Christian woman--clearly you loved her very much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Erin for such a lovely tribute to Mom. She was a remarkable woman and will be greatly missed. Mom H