Tuesday, May 01, 2007

great quote

I was reading today for my Bible Study tonight out of a book called Feminine Appeal (yes I procrastinated reading until the day of) and I came across this great quote that I wanted to share. It's by a man named John Blanchard:

"Surely we only have to be realistic and honest with ourselves to know how regularly we need to turn to the Bible. How often do we face problems, temptation and pressure? EVERY DAY! Then how often do we need instruction, guidance and greater encouragement? EVERY DAY! To catch all these felt needs up into an even greater issue, how often do we need to see God's face, hear his voice, feel his touch, know his power? The answer to all these questions is the same: EVERY DAY!"

What a great reminder and what a challenge. I hate to admit that I don't read Scripture every day...but how true is that, that when we read Scripture we are instructed, guided, encouraged, comforted. The book goes on to say that:

"...we find peace in the midst of trying circumstances, an eternal perspective where we have lost sight of the truth, and power to fight our battle against sin."

The laziness in my heart would rather fill that time with selfishness...how sad is that. Thank you God for your grace...your love is amazing.

2 comments:

kimberlynoele said...

Thanks for the good reminder, Erin. I was thinking similar thoughts the other night when I opened my Bible to read at the end of the day - it was a refreshment, I needed to drink it in and be renewed. We just read Jerry Bridges' The Gospel for Real Life in our Bible study, and he makes the point that we have unsearchable riches in Christ available to us at all times, yet we often choose to get by on a quarter's-worth of that gift by relying on ourselves, rather than entering fully into Christ.

Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to see you!!!

Joc said...

Great post Erin. Thank you for sharing a little bit of your heart on this blog. Travel safely today- I'll be praying for you!